Saturday, 30 May 2015

Patrick Star Cake, Cupcakes and Biscuits


My Auntie Sam really loves Patrick Star from Spongebob Squarepants, so for her birthday, I made her a Patrick Star Cake. Along with Patrick Star cupcakes and Patrick Star cookies.


To make this cake I used:
-2 tray cakes I made earlier and cooled
-Betty Crocker Strawberry frosting/butter cream
-Purple food colouring
-Green food colouring
-Writing icing in black, brown and red
-Icing sugar
-Butter/Margarine
-Water
-Toothpicks
-Display tray

Firstly I made 2 tray cakes, and let them cool.
Once cool, I printed a picture I found of Patrick on 2 A4 pieces of paper and cut it out.
Then I used toothpicks to secure the printout onto the cake, then cut around the printout, so I was left with the outline of Patrick.
I placed the cut out pieces of cake onto the tray I was using to display the cake, and covered the whole cake in a thin layer of pink butter cream (Betty Crocker strawberry).
After that had set for a while, I covered the cake in a thicker layer of butter cream, and evened it out as best I could.
I used the printout to see where Patrick's pants go, and used a toothpick to outline his pants.
I made some green butter cream, using the margarine, icing sugar and green food colouring, and covered the designated part with the green butter cream and levelled it out.
I used a little bit of the pink butter cream and mix in a little bit of purple food colouring to make it purple.
I then use this purple butter cream to make the flowers on his pants.
I used the printout to see where his, eyes, mouth and belly button would go and filled these in with the writing stencils.
For his eyes, I outlined it with black writing icing, then make white icing using icing sugar and water, then waited for this to dry to add the dots for eyes. Also remember to give him eyebrows.
For his mouth I used the black writing icing for the outline, the red writing icing for the tongue and chocolate/brown writing icing for the inside of his mouth.
For his belly button I used the black writing icing to finish Patrick off.


As I have never made biscuits before, I used this Basic Biscuit recipe that I found online on the BBC Good Food website. I made 22 biscuits, and there was a bit of dough left over, so I would say I could of made 24 but only 22 fit on my baking trays and I wasn't going to put a tray of 2 in the oven. They tasted good and it was a simple recipe to follow, so would definitely use this recipe again.



After I baked the star biscuits, I let them cool and then decorated as Patricks. 


The things you will need to make these Patrick Star biscuits are:
-A star cutter
-One batch of cookie dough
-Pink strawberry butter cream (Betty Crocker) (used for cake)
-Green butter cream (made for the cake)
-Purple butter cream (made for the cake)
-White icing made for eyes on cake (icing sugar and water)
-Black writing icing


I basically followed the same method that I did for the cake; covered the biscuit with pink butter cream, then made the green pants, added purple flowers to the pants, then made his eyes and smile. Really easy, but looks so cute.

      

The last thing Patrick themed that I made, was Patrick Star Cupcakes. These cupcakes are actually star shaped. I used silicon cupcake cases to make these. 


For these Patrick Star cupcake, you will need:
-Star cupcakes
-Pink strawberry butter cream (Betty Crocker) (used for cake and biscuits)
-Green butter cream (used for cake and biscuits)
-Purple butter cream (used for cake and biscuits)
-Black writing icing


Again the method is exactly the same; pink butter cream all over the top of the cupcake, then add green for his shorts, purple for the flowers on the shorts, and add a mouth and eyes using the black writing icing. These are bite size cupcakes, so perfect for a party. Everything I made was really easy and wasn't that expensive as you can used the same items for decorating everything. 


I also made chocolate rice krispie cakes, vanilla butterfly cakes, and chocolate butterfly cakes. Also I made a mars bar cake, but forgot to take a picture of it. You can however read about when I made a mars bar cake on new years day here!

   

For my Auntie, I bought her these Patrick balloons of Aliexpress. 
They were only £2.67 for 5, so a great bargain. You can't however fill these with helium so they wont stay in the air on their own. To fill, we put a straw up the little tube at the bottom and blew them up. Really easy to do, and really cute when they are blown up.


If you have a Patrick fan, I would definitely recommend getting some of these balloons. I did actually order some other Patrick balloons of aliexpress, but they haven't turned up unfortunately.


I also bought her this 30cm Patrick teddy of aliexpress.
This was £5.12, which is really cheap for such a cute gift. 

       

You can also get bigger sizes of this teddy, but I though she would like this cute little one.


The final thing I bought her was this Patrick ornament from The Yorkshire Trading Company for £1.99. She actually ended up with 2 of these, as her friend from work also bought her one.


Thanks for Reading!
xXx

No comments:

Post a Comment